Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 10 09:27:00 UTC 2015

> Ian Malone wrote:
>> I'm actually all for unbundling, but going it alone is not guaranteed
>> to be simple. "Oh, hey, that deprecated function has been removed."
>
> Then you try to port the application to the new APIs, and if it's not
> possible, you revert the library commit that removed the old API.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

And what happens if the library is consumed by other packages
requiring the new API?

Let's keep Ian example:
You keep the deprecated function in the new library despite upstream's
decision. Since we keep shipping it, developers will keep using it in
their new software, making it incompatible with other distro.
We only had one problem, now we have more problems.

Engineering is not science, as previously stated, it's about compromises.

H.