Query: %cmake not doing out-of-tree builds?

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 20:25:04 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Over the last few weeks, I've been working on a number of packages that use
CMake for the build system for various distros, and I've noticed something
rather peculiar. Of all the distros I've built packages for (Fedora/CentOS,
openSUSE, Mageia, Debian, and Ubuntu), only Fedora/CentOS does not
automatically do CMake building in a subdirectory such that the build
artifacts don't mix in with the source tree. Essentially, the %cmake macro
doesn't enforce builds are out-of-tree.

Is there a particular reason for this?