Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-10-07)

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 09:00:00 UTC 2015

Dne 9.10.2015 v 17:46 Kevin Fenzi napsal(a):
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 17:05:00 +0200
> Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> This does not scale unfortunately ... and it is common excuse to not
>> support it properly. IOW, I want to have package foo-1.0 installed
>> side by side with foo-2.0 and I don't want to have foo1-1.0 side by
>> side with foo-2.0. And this applies especially for packages which are
>> designed to not conflict by design.
> Of course it doesn't scale... unless someone has figured out some magic
> dust to make software bug free and always secure and always integrated,
> there needs to be people supporting all those parallel installed things
> and making sure they are secure/bugfixed/integrated.

I am commited to maintain several versions of key ruby packages, but
there is no infrastructure in place! Let me clarify:

1) I want to maintain them in single repository.
2) I want to be able to specify upgrade path.

Non of this is supported and as long as this is not supported, I am not
willing to maintaine foo-2.0 and foo1-1.0 packages.

> So, the barrier is then that if you need/want a compat package, you
> must commit to maintaining it, or convince someone else to.

I don't want to have compat package!

Vít