Query: %cmake not doing out-of-tree builds?

Susi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 12 20:06:56 UTC 2015

On 10/10/2015 01:25 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Over the last few weeks, I've been working on a number of packages that use
> CMake for the build system for various distros, and I've noticed something
> rather peculiar. Of all the distros I've built packages for (Fedora/CentOS,
> openSUSE, Mageia, Debian, and Ubuntu), only Fedora/CentOS does not
> automatically do CMake building in a subdirectory such that the build
> artifacts don't mix in with the source tree. Essentially, the %cmake macro
> doesn't enforce builds are out-of-tree.
>
> Is there a particular reason for this?

One that comes to mind is that you might want to build different flavors
of the same sources, one prominent example being parallellizable
programs that can be compiled either into sequential binaries or
binaries that can be run in parallel.

As has already been pointed out by many people on this list, it is
simple to do an out-of-root build in the spec file even though it is not
done by default.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor