ansible in Fedora 23+ (python3)

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Oct 14 02:36:39 UTC 2015

On 10/13/2015 08:21 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has started to feel any pain from trying to
> use ansible with F23 systems. As part of the Fedora Cloud working
> group it would be nice to ship a system that could be targeted by
> ansible out of the box. Unfortunately, since ansible uses python 2.X
> vs python 3 it doesn't really work.
>
> A simple answer would be to "just install python", but I actually hit
> several roadblocks because of python packages that are usually there
> but have been replaced by their python 3 counterparts. As an example
> for one ansible playbook like [1] I had to install these rpms in order
> to get it to work:
>
> python libselinux-python python-dnf python-docker-py
>
> Unfortunately there isn't a catchall that is a workaround for this
> problem because the libraries you need on the system depend on the
> modules you will use.
>
> Does anyone have a good solution for this? Obviously it would be nice
> if ansible went to python3 but I think they have stated clearly that
> they are sticking with python2 for backwards compat with systems that
> still need 2.4.
>
> -Dusty
>
> [1] - https://github.com/dustymabe/vagrantdirs/blob/master/f22/playbook.yml

I suspect this is probably better to be hashed out in a bugreport, but
perhaps one solution would be to produce an ansible-runtime meta package
or comps group that pulls in standard packages needed to run ansible
locally.  Otherwise I don't see how you get around what you need on a
system by just installing it.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com