ansible in Fedora 23+ (python3)

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 14 15:47:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-10-14 at 08:47 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 08:57:57PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Beyond that, though, why not just have your ansible play ensure its
> > own
> > deps are installed? If you're dealing with docker, make sure the
> > package you need is installed before you run any docker steps...
>
> So, in other words, it seems acceptible to make this a documentation
> problem? We should at least definitely make sure to have that
> documentation.

Eh, I guess for me the general 'case' here isn't even really something
for Fedora to document, it's just...how ansible works? It can remote
all sorts of stuff, I mean, *obviously* you need to install the
appropriate backing bits. If anything it seems like something for
upstream Ansible docs, but I'd not be at all surprised if it's already
in there.

The fact that you can't install any packages with ansible on at least
some OOTB F23 installs is unfortunate, though, and probably worth a
mention in the relnotes or common bugs. The reason is simply that DNF
went to Python 3 by default, but ansible still needs python2-dnf . Or
yum, but that's not there by default either. I know at least minimal
installs don't include python2-dnf, not sure if any larger package sets
do happen to pull it in.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey