Better irc policies?

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 14 18:19:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-10-14 at 08:44 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 02:36:08PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > To set the cat among the pigeons a bit, it'd sure be interesting to
> > consider setting up one of the F/OSS Slack-alikes for Fedora
> > use...of
> > course, there's a question of at what point we have too many tools.
>
> I'd be very much in favor of something which lowers the barrier to
> participation here. IRC isn't hard once you're used to it, but
> NickServ, ChanServ, Zodbot, etc., add a layer of confusion and
> complication. It's not just newbies and non-geeks that we're shutting
> out. Only a small percentage of tech people - sysadmins, developers,
> etc. - have a working familiarity with IRC.
>
> It'd be especially nice to have something which could integrate with
> FAS and with the Fedora Hubs.

The only thing that concerns me is that at that point we'd have the new
thing, IRC, Ask, *and* the mailing lists, soon with Hyperkitty which in
some senses overlaps with all the others.

All of these are good things but would we have a coherent story about
why we had all of them, and would it just make it a nightmare to find
the right information / person?

Slack and its clones tend to want to be The Thing You Use To
Communicate, I think, perhaps grudgingly allowing space for email to
communicate with all those tiresome people from the 2000s...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey