Packaging of PlayOnLinux

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 19:04:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Sérgio Basto wrote:

>> > What?
>> > You mean like Wine
>>
>> Wine.Is.Not.Emulator
>
>Is Wine functional or useful without code or packages from third-party
>sources ?
Yes, it is useful without packages from third-party sources. There is no
problem in running utilities from wine packages, for example.

>No, so Wine violates:
>
>https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Packages_which_are_not_useful_without_external_bits
It does not, just try notepad.exe, regedit.exe, clock.exe and others
which are part of wine for very long time.

>I think guidelines aren't express the idea correctly, is not allowed
>packages that only are functional with nonfree third-party bits.
>
>PlayOnLinux, I run it some years ago and it was just a layer over wine
>or better explained, PlayOnLinux bundle many wine versions and run a
>program with a specific wine version and some custom configurations ,
>which are known that runs well the program.
>
>Conclusion if Wine could be on Fedora, a layer over wine also should be
>allowed.
>
>But you will have to unblundle all wine versions and use system wine
>version ...
The devil is in the details. If you want to package POL (which is Java
app, btw) anyway, follow guidelines for new packages. They were updated
and published recently.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy