Better irc policies?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 15 13:23:17 UTC 2015

On 10/15/2015 08:27 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 08:15:50AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>> Is there a plan for dealing with IRC nicks and the Hubs chat?
>>
>> There's an IRC nick field in FAS. My thoughts were by default for
>> new users we'll prepopulate it with their FAS account name; if
>> you've a preexisting account put in whatever your usual IRC nick is.
>> If you use hubs as an IRC client, use the nick from FAS. If there's
>> a nick collision / somebody's already registered it, I don't know
>> that it would be so difficult to detect that and prompt the user to
>> pick another one.
>>
>> Was that the concern or is there something I'm missing?
>
> Most of us have this set up in our clients so long that we've forgotten
> about it, but the process of registering a new nick with Freenode drops
> people right in the middle of IRC esoterica before they're even able to
> get started.

I don't think this is insurmountable, I think if there's a nick
collision we prompt for a new one and update the FAS field; if there's
no collision we register it for them using their FAS email address and
maybe making up a password for them. For pre-existing users there can be
a field in FAS or in user prefs for their nickserv pass.

~m