Packaging of PlayOnLinux

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Thu Oct 15 13:46:06 UTC 2015

On 10/15/2015 12:55 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

My understanding - which is welcome to correction - is that the WINE
community, and presumably therefore utilities like PlayOnLinux, rely on
using specific versions of wine, often with specific patch sets, for
each application  or game.  Many of these patches never make it upstream
because they are not applicable in the broader sense.   That's rather
complicated stuff, and PlayOnLinux solves the problem by defining those
versions and patches and bundling them up for the user.

The greater feasibility question IMO is whether it is even possible for
PlayOnLinux to be effective when using system wine, and if not, whether
the package can be built in a guidelines-compliant way when it bundles
and patches this way.  Jirka, have you put together a spec yet, as a
proof of concept?

-- Pete