Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-10-07)

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 00:23:32 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:

> drago01 wrote:
> > They might compile something and send it to someone that happens to
> > use a different distro ...
>
> … which 99% of the time will not work anyway no matter what we do because
> glibc has only one-way compatibility and our glibc is newer than almost any
> other distro's. So trying to support that use case is not useful at all.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

​While that may be true immediately upon release, it doesn't remain that
way for very long.​ Distributions like openSUSE Tumbleweed, Arch, and
distributions that release at the same time or after we do (upcoming Mageia
6, Ubuntu 15.10, etc.) would have compatibility with us.

We shouldn't make things worse for people if we don't have to.