To someone with power to push packages on Fedora 21

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Oct 21 13:51:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 11:18:09AM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 21.10.2015 um 02:22 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> >Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >>The testers write "works for me" or report a new bug. When things work,
> >>there's nothing to evaluate. Doing the counting by hand is just a way to
> >>waste time.
> >
> >10 "works for me" and 1 "deletes all my data" do not make a quality of +9.
> >They mean a package that should be unpushed ASAP and most definitely NEVER
> >be pushed to stable.
True. That's why I usually set the karma thresholds assymetricaly to
+3/-1 or such, if I bother to set it. Arguably the default should
be just -1 for stopping the automatic push.

> >I mostly ignore generic "works for me" feedback with no details. It is not
> >useful
>
> it *is* useful in case nobody reports a problem because you get the
> confirmation the package not only works for you
Exactly. Automatic karma is certainly imperfect, but it works good enough
most of the time and frees maintainer time to do more interesting things.

Zbyszek