workstation/boot and workstation/netinst are identical

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 23 09:12:24 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 09:53 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can somebody explain the purpose difference between
> workstation/boot/x86_64 and workstation/netinst/x86_64:
>
> [https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/23_RC3/Workstation/x86_64
> /iso/Fedora-Workstation-netinst-x86_64-23.iso
> and
> https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/23_RC3/Workstation/x86_64/
> os/images/boot.iso],
>
> as indicated on
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_23_Final_RC3_Insta
> llation?rd=Test_Results:Current_Installation_Test
>
> Running cmp shows that the contents are identical, and the sizes are
> identical too!

There isn't any difference. The boot.iso's are essentially artefacts of
the compose process; the compose process produces them because a) it
always has and b) we kinda need them for nightlies. netinst.iso is in
fact created simply as a hardlink of boot.iso.

The netinst image is the 'official' deliverable; theoretically, I
guess, if we changed the compose process, we'd consider it necessary to
produce the netinst.iso but perhaps not the boot.iso.

This is all kinds of fun for me when maintaining fedfind! (do we
consider them identical? Identical for releases since both showed up,
but not before? Two different things? How to account for both
nightlies, which have boot.iso but no netinst.iso, and TCs/RCs, which
have both? Oh the fun I have.)

Fact fans: we've had netinst.iso since Fedora 9. We've had boot.iso
since Fedora Core 2 (FC1 didn't have one).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey