dnf and file provides

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Oct 24 09:19:23 UTC 2015

Am 24.10.2015 um 03:55 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 18:19 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> Got this is a resent koji rawhide build:
>>
>> DEBUG util.py:393:  No matching package to install: '/bin/csh'
>>
>> I'm assuming this is a quirk of dnf now being the default, but needs
>> get fixed.
>
> There is no /bin/csh in the package, only /usr/bin/csh . /bin is a
> symlink to /usr/bin , so you can call /bin/csh and it'll work, but
> /bin/csh does not exist in the package. Thus it does not provide it.
> Requires should always use /usr/bin or /usr/sbin

provides too and nobody cares about for years in case of ldconfig which
breaks every dist-upgrade - the problem is that the package guidlines
where weakened long after UsrMove instead enforce them

since i use %{_sbindir}/ldconfig until hell freezes over the following
metapackage in needed for successful dist-upgrades with YUM

[builduser at buildserver:~]$ cat /rpmbuild/SPECS/lounge-provides.spec
License:   GPL

Provides:  %{_bindir}/perl
Provides:  %{_sbindir}/ldconfig