dnf and file provides

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Oct 24 09:43:12 UTC 2015

On 10/24/2015 03:55 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 18:19 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> Got this is a resent koji rawhide build:
>>
>> DEBUG util.py:393:  No matching package to install: '/bin/csh'
>>
>> I'm assuming this is a quirk of dnf now being the default, but needs
>> get fixed.
>
> There is no /bin/csh in the package, only /usr/bin/csh

/bin/csh is an explicit provides of the tcsh package

The fact certain versions of dnf don't handle them correctly is yet
another bug in dnf and/or it's infrastructure.

>. /bin is a
> symlink to /usr/bin , so you can call /bin/csh and it'll work, but
> /bin/csh does not exist in the package. Thus it does not provide it.
> Requires should always use /usr/bin or /usr/sbin .

/bin/csh is similar to /bin/sh.

They are being used in "#!" shebangs and therefore must stay in packages
and must be handles correctly, independently of what the proponents of
UsrMov believe.