BuildRequires: pythonN-devel unnecessary

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 14:48:01 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-29, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, 29 October 2015 at 01:31, Christopher Meng wrote:

>> > Are you sure? Don't you need them for the RPM macros they contain?
>>
>> Not my first time hitting on missing macros just because lack of
>> pythonN-devel, but if you just extract them from pythonN-devel to package
>> similar to these packages below, I reckon that it should be acceptable:
>>
>> ---
>> ghc-srpm-macros
>> gnat-srpm-macros
>> go-srpm-macros
>> ocaml-srpm-macros
>> perl-srpm-macros
>> ---
>
> How about naming them:
> rpm-build-ghc
> rpm-build-gnat
> rpm-build-go
> rpm-build-ocaml
> rpm-build-perl
> rpm-build-python
> and so on?

Difference between srpm-macros and devel macros is that srpm-macros
macros are intended for building source RPM packages (hence the srpm
in the name) without introducing any new dependencies into minimal build
root. This is not obviously the case of devel packages.

While simple rename is not against anything, the "build" name associates
building binary RPM package which is not correct.

However, I have to admit, that having a standard package name for macros
needed for building non-native-extenstion (noarch) binary packages can
be handy. Especially if major of packages do not need header files and
compiler, so depending on devel package is superfluos overshot wasting
resources.

-- Petr