To distro-sync or not distro-sync?

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu Oct 29 15:30:45 UTC 2015

On 10/29/2015 08:33 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 29.10.2015 um 13:24 schrieb Honza Å ilhan:
>>
>> dnf has `--allowerasing switch - it will resolve the conflicts by
>> uninstallation
>> of conflicting packages. Installing the packages regardless the
>> dependencies by
>> `--force` is really dangerous and will not be supported by DNF.
>
> removing random packages is also really dangerous and *not* acceptable
For what it's worth, in the YUM days few years back I had a botched
update (not even upgrade!). I believe it was a 5.x Centos, and yum
decided to delete a ton of packages. The system became unbootable, and I
had to do a lot of manual yum installs including IIRC yum itself, to
restore it. I didn't even file yum  bugs because that system has a rich
history and a lot of odd software installed so I chalked it to
'self-inflicted', but:

     I learned to be very careful reading the lists of packages
suggested for deletion.