Fedora IPv6 testing and improvements - request for ideas

Scott Schmit i.grok at comcast.net
Fri Oct 30 01:10:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:15:10AM -0400, Pavel Simerda wrote:
> I am writing to Fedora development mailing lists to get opinions
> and ideas regarding our project on improving IPv6 support in
> Fedora across its components.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Networking
>
> Most prominent subpages:
>
>  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Networking/Test_environment

It may make sense to have a IPv6 case between global & local that has
all 4 categories of address (I see this as loosely analogous to the IPv4
masqueraded case).

Another case would be multi-homed IPv6, where you have global IPv6
addresses from multiple sources (could be two ISPs, two tunnel
providers, or one ISP and one tunnel provider).

IPv6 is designed to be inherently more dynamic than IPv4 (particularly
with RAs) -- we should test transitions between connectivity states
(simulating an ISP connection dropping and coming back up or a router
going down and coming back up).

Speed differences between IPv6 & IPv4 could be a factor as well (happy
eyeballs) -- though reportedly IPv6 has tended to be faster than IPv4
rather than the previously-expected inverse.

Checking support for DHCPv6-PD would also be valuable.

--
Scott