[HEADS UP] Upcoming soname change for libtirpc

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Fri Oct 30 23:57:26 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-30 at 14:16 -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:

> On 10/30/2015 12:36 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:50:48 -0400
> > Steve Dickson <SteveD at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Well place sources tell me in the upcoming
> > > libtirpc release the soname will be changing
> > > due to some API changes.
> > >
> > > The API changes will make the Linux version
> > > more compatible with litbirpc implementations
> > >
> > > Obviously this change will just go in rawhide
> > > but how do I
> > > 1) request the build rpm go be added to the build root?
> >
> > That automatically happens after the build completes. It's added in
> > the
> > next newrepo call (so usually 10-20min)
> >
> > > 2) find and rebuild all the dependencies?
> >
> > Should be something like:
> >
> > % sudo dnf repoquery --whatrequires 'libtirpc.so.1()(64bit)'
> > Last metadata expiration check performed 0:01:17 ago on Fri Oct 30
> > 10:34:06 2015.
> > autofs-1:5.1.1-3.fc23.x86_64
> > fedfs-utils-admin-0:0.10.3-4.fc23.x86_64
> > fedfs-utils-server-0:0.10.3-4.fc23.x86_64
> > libtirpc-devel-0:0.3.2-3.0.fc24.x86_64
> > nfs-utils-1:1.3.2-10.fc23.x86_64
> > rpcbind-0:0.2.3-0.2.fc23.x86_64
> Perfect!!!

Steve, at some point I must have found that libtirpc used Thread
Specific Data (TSD) that was problematic because I had seen crashes on
exit as I've seen with other libraries.

Using the TSD functionality isn't a problem unless the clean up
function set at creation belongs to the library itself, which in some
cases simply isn't present when the pthreads clean up code is called at
process exit.

If that's not no longer a problem or I was mistaken in the beginning
then I can remove the workaround from autofs, otherwise I'll need to
update the workaround to also try to pre-open the new library.

Ummm ... I think I'm also be guilty of not raising this upstream ... oo
ps!