[rawhide] NetworkManager 1.2 in Fedora 24

Lubomir Rintel lkundrak at v3.sk
Tue Sep 1 11:53:28 UTC 2015

Hello,

a major update to NetworkManager, a service that manages our network
connectivity is planned to be released later this year.

TLDR: If you're a maintainer of a VPN plugin, we'll reach out to you
with the port to new API soon. If you use libnm-glib your application
won't break, but libnm is better.

We plan to import a snapshot of the pre-release code very early
(probably in one week's time). We believe the code base is in a very
solid state and this will make it possible to start ironing out the
remaining wrinkles early and make use of the new features.

Among usual pile of fixes this release will bring new client libraries
(libnm and libnma) that essentially modernized and streamlined versions
of existing libraries (libnm-glib, libnm-vpn, libnm-util and libnm
-gtk).

We're keeping the old libraries so libnm-glib users will be unaffected
with one exception: due to glib type system restrictions libnm-glib and
libnm can't be loaded at the same time. Therefore libnm-based VPN
preferences plugins can't be mixed with libnm-glib based applications
and vice versa. To fix this situations the VPN plugins will provide
both libnm-glib and libnm based versions of the preferences plugins.
NetworkManager 1.2 provides a compatibility shim to make the porting
easier. We'll do the porting and submit changes to the upstreams and
the package maintainers.

A repository with new versions of the daemon, connection editor and VPN
plugins is available here:

https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/lkundrak/NetworkManager/

♥,
Lubo