Release blocking deliverables for Fedora 23

Jan Kurik jkurik at redhat.com
Thu Sep 3 12:41:28 UTC 2015

Thanks for your long feedback Adam :-) I will try to answer your
question and I will hope I do not miss anything.

* Release blocking vs. Release non-blocking
This has been discussed on the meeting [1] whether we should have only
list of blocking deliverables as that is what we need now. However
from the long-term point of view we would like to have list of
non-blockig deliverables as well, to make sure we know what we are
delivering. The current page [2] is a mix of both and I agree it is
not consistent. Let consider this as the starting point with more work
to be done here.

* Atomic & Docker
Check the FESCo meeting minutes [1] starting at 18:06:21 - "the cloud
people said no atomic"; "not a release blocker"

* Cloud AMI
I am not sure whether this is blocking or not. Hopefully Cloud WG can
provide us with a definitive answer [3].

* ARM platform
I can not serve here as my ARM awareness is limited. Hopefully someone
from FESCo can comment here. If not, I can open this issue on the next
FESCo meeting (you will be welcomed to join).

* Template:Release criteria preamble [4]
Thanks, I was not aware of this. I prefer to have just one page.
Probably will be a good topic for the next FESCo meeting to clarify
this. We can probably also use the list from TC1 and merge all these
together.

* haphazardly-formatted human-readable text
The page was the first attempt to have at least something for F23
release. We plan to have a machine-readable format in a future (check
the list of actions/tasks [5] ).

Regards,
Jan

[1] https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/fesco/fesco.2015-09-02-18.00.log.html/
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Program_Management/ReleaseBlocking/Fedora23
[3] https://fedorahosted.org/cloud/ticket/118#comment:2
[4] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Release_criteria_preamble
[5] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1427#comment:30

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 12:50 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-09-02 at 21:18 +0200, Jan Kurik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in the past there was an issue with identification of deliverables
>> which block a Fedora release. We were dealing with this issue
>> specifically during Go/No-go meetings which is quite late for this
>> kind of decisions.
>> To solve this issue FESCo has started an activity [1] to identify
>> these deliverables in advance. The list of blocking (as well as some
>> non-blocking) deliverables for Fedora 23 is currently available on
>> Wiki page [2].
>>
>> You might want to check the list [2] to make sure we have all the
>> blocking deliverables tracked. If you find anything what might not be
>> correct from your point of view, please let me know, so we can
>> discuss
>> it. Thanks for your cooperation.
>>
>> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1427
>> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Program_Management/ReleaseB
>> locking/Fedora23
>
> It doesn't seem entirely clear if the page is intended to be a list of
> all deliverables (which also notes whether each one is release
> blocking), or whether it's just intended to be a list of release
> blocking deliverables only. On the one hand, the page name has
> 'ReleaseBlocking' on it. On the other hand, the title is "List of
> Fedora 23 release deliverables". On the other other hand, the page
> lists several non-blocking deliverables. On the other other other
> hand, it's missing many more. See the end of this mail for a list of
> all (I think) media on the mirrors for F22 Beta TC1 (this list will be
> missing non-mirrored media like AMIs).
>
> I'm surprised the Cloud AMIs are not listed. The various Atomic and
> Docker images are not listed either as blocking or non-blocking; is
> their status decided?
>
> I've been trying to refer to the 'DVD' as 'offline' lately, since
> calling it 'the DVD' is a bit of a misnomer when most of the time it
> gets written to a USB stick. But it's not a big deal.
>
> There is, to my knowledge, no "Xfce Live Image (arm)", exactly. ARM
> disk images are not the same thing as live images. To my knowledge the
> two release-blocking media for ARM are the armhfp minimal disk image
> and the armhfp Xfce disk image.
>
> There is something of a 'jurisdiction overlap' here, as the release
> criteria already define some release blocking deliverables:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Release_criteria_preamble
>
> "The term release-blocking images means all the images in which
> bugs are currently considered capable of blocking a Fedora release.
> The
> current set of release-blocking images includes the images defined by
> the three primary Products - Server, Workstation and Cloud - in their
> product requirement documents and/or technical specifications, and the
> KDE live image."
>
> We should probably clarify whether we intend the new page to be the
> [...]

Jan Kuřík
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic