Symbol `SSL_ImplementedCiphers' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 11:14:08 UTC 2015

On Pá, 2015-09-04 at 00:38 -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 08/28/2015 03:23 PM, Josh Stone wrote:
> > I update from nss-3.19.3-1.0.fc22.x86_64 to nss-3.20.0-1.0.fc22.x86_64
> > this morning, and now I get this stderr output:
> >
> > $ /usr/bin/stap -V >/dev/null
> > /usr/bin/stap: Symbol `SSL_ImplementedCiphers' has different size in
> > shared object, consider re-linking
> >
> > The message comes from ld.so; that symbol comes from libssl3.so.
> >
> > Should I be worried about this?  Do we need a rebuild of all
> > nss-dependent packages to clear this message?
>
> Well, it's an ABI break. If you care about ABI issues then the change
> causing the breakage needs reverting and the broken packages need to
> be rebuilt.

The size of the SSL_ImplementedCiphers array is not part of the public
API so it is not really an ABI break in practice. However ld.so of
course cannot know that. Is there any way to make the message disappear
other than rebuild of the dependent package? I am afraid that
unfortunately not.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb