[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:59:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Adam Williamson <
adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > SG> Right now, we have a policy that essentially forbids source code
> > SG> from being bundled into a package.
> >
> > Technically we only care if that bundled code is actually compiled
> > in.
>
> I don't think that's the case. The text in the main guidelines page is
> rather broad:
>
> "Fedora packages should make every effort to avoid having multiple,
> separate, upstream projects bundled together in a single package.
> However, when this is unavoidable, packagers must apply for a Bundling
> Exception with the Fedora Packaging Committee."
>
> That just says 'multiple, separate upstream projects' (nothing about
> being 'compiled in'), and implies that absolutely any such case can
> only be included with an explicit 'Bundling Exception'.
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin . net
> http://www.happyassassin.net

​In fact, I had this thrown against me when I tried to package a web
application a few years ago for Fedora. Sure, it led to me packaging
tinymce and tinymce-spellchecker (which are now the banes of my existence
because I don't know what to do with them), but there was nothing I could
do to get the upstream development to make things better. I chugged along
for *three years on that package*, but I eventually gave up on it. I'm
slightly bitter about that, but at the same time
​ I recognize that we need to make the effort to unbundle as much as
possible.

We should definitely inject some more pragmatism into our policy, though.
It's extremely difficult for certain classes of applications to make it
into Fedora because the architecture makes it really difficult to comply
(web applications, sandbox environment application platforms, etc.).