[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 10 17:17:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:02:27AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> I know that's something of a straw man, but my point is that we must
> have some principles, and must work with upstreams to attempt to get
> them to at least understand those principles.  And we shouldn't give up
> on that just because someone wants some program which is easily provided
> by a copr anyway.

Well, we _have_ some stated fundamental principles, and Freedom is one
of them, while "de-bundle software!" actually isn't. In fact, as
Stephen suggests in the initial message, debundling is often in
conflict with Features and First.

That said, I do recognize that "provides high-quality packages" has
also always been an underlying Fedora value even if unstated. But, I
think that _that_ value should be in support of the Big Four, and in
support of our mission in general, not a sacred beast for its own sake.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>