Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Sep 11 16:22:35 UTC 2015

Am 11.09.2015 um 18:17 schrieb Zdenek Kabelac:
> Dne 11.9.2015 v 16:44 Reindl Harald napsal(a):

>>> You miss few important points:
>>>
>>> 1.)
>>> If you have  lib.so.2  and lib.so.4 - it may need far more work then
>>> just running  rpmbuild   - so far away from 'fully automated'.
>>
>> do we now build distributions backed by "may" and "possible"
>>
>> in most cases it is just a "rpmbuild" like the mass-build on koji and the
>> exceptions need some handwork, no big drama
>>
>>> 2.)
>>> What maintaining time are we talking about - since Fedora breaks working
>>> thing in the first place for no good reason and force massive
>>> maintenance time on every user of new library in 'short' time for some
>>> potential 'security' fixes - but you may on the other hand put in dozed
>>> of new security breaks anyway  - and when I see how frequently i.e. gtk
>>> libs  may break whole distro -  it would be far more pleasant to see
>>> just couple broken apps at time - instead of rendering whole  rawhide
>>> unusable....
>>
>> just because you don't understand or agree with the reasons don't mean
>> they
>> are not good
>
> In real-world developing & testing app to work with all components takes
> significantly more time  then in Fedora 'garden'.

don't explain me the real world after 12 years of software development

> Not sure why you fail to understand this - I do like to have some apps
> to be latest/greatest - while others might be rather 'tested & stable'
> or even 'have them' (since they are no longer developed).
>
> More complex projects even fail to fit in 1/2 year release cycle.
>
> In non-Fedora 'world' it's the user who picks what he want to use,
> however in Fedora 'garden' a few people selects what user may use and
> puts huge walls and pointless obstacle all around if they want to use
> something else -  yes I fail to see why this should be good for me....

really?

that must be the reason why i run Fedora successful for 7 years now on
all sort of production and development servers and chose for myself
which version of mysql, php, postfix, dovecot, dbmail and what not is
running and when it is deplyoed independent of Fedora reelase cycles in
both directions (holding major upgrades back as well as make them long
before Fedora)