Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 18:07:48 UTC 2015

Dne 11.9.2015 v 19:29 Reindl Harald napsal(a):

>>> really?
>>>
>>> that must be the reason why i run Fedora successful for 7 years now on
>>> all
>>> sort of production and development servers and chose for myself which
>>> version
>>> of mysql, php, postfix, dovecot, dbmail and what not is running and
>>> when it is
>>> deplyoed independent of Fedora reelase cycles in both directions (holding
>>> major upgrades back as well as make them long before Fedora)
>>
>> We are finally getting to the point....
>>
>> How many machines do you need to use for that setup?
>
> 2 - one to test and 1 production host backed by a failover machine running a
> dozens of VM's but *not* because different versions but because of different
> services / customers and security profiles
>
>> I prefer to use 1 system on 1 hardware on 1 disk - no kvm, no qemu.
>> And even containers are not a good fit - thought getting close....
>
> and because you don't want to handle modern technologies like virtualization
> others should suck tainting a clean installation?
>
>> Why I cannot use multiple different versions of php on a SINGLE machine ?
>> Why I cannot use some  10 years old graphical program (unless I do a
>> local static compilation, so I'm sure it will work) ?
>
> uhm i know people which can even configure each of their customers on a single
> machine for different php-versions selecting 4.x, 5.0, 5.1, 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5
> currently.................

Trust me - I'm quite well aware how to handle cases like this -
my machine must be immune against many troubles the life with rawhide could
bring-in.

You still fail to see my point here is -
WHY Fedora make things so complicated - sometimes one may even think there is
a team of people who do nothing else then try to just think what they could
still break even more....

Instead of making life easier - there are more and more technologies brought
in, which even make it impossible to boot my system with 2 year old kernel!

And no 'KVM'/virtualiation is not solution - it's a workaround with it's price...

Zdenek