[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 11 18:40:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 18:27 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> > I agree that the discussion here needs to be more broad-based; see
> > the
> > other thread fork. I was just providing support for Stephen's
> > contention that this is not some airy-fairy theoretical problem,
> > there
> > are multiple examples of real things that people *wanted* to have
> > packaged that are not packaged because the unbundling process was
> > too
> > onerous.
> >
> Arguably that is a testament of how heavy the bureaucracy in the
> distribution has become not the "bundling" itself.

Um. I don't see how you can possibly make that argument. There are
multiple package reviews which were abandoned because they needed
extensive work on unbundling and the submitters did not want to commit
to that ongoing work. I'm not *guessing* this, it's explicitly written
down in the comments.

In what sense can that 'arguably' be something to do with
'bureaucracy'? Are you saying we should have bundling rules, but then
say they're 'bureaucracy' and ignore them?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey