[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 11 19:13:08 UTC 2015

> The inclusion of what now 15k components in the distribution is a testimony
> of success of un-bundling against your testimony of ( few ) failures of
> bundling.
>
> JBG

Say that *after* you properly reviewed the current set of packages.
You'd discover that sloppy reviews and upstream changes has resulted
in plenty of bundled libraries in the distro.

And if we were to strictly forbid unbundling, you'd have no single
web app or javascript packages in Fedora.

I for one would be in favor of delegating SIGs the right to lift *some*
packaging guidelines.
FPC has enough workload than reviewing every bundled library
requests, that does not scale.
I'd rather ensure that we know about packaging guidelines violations
and have them reviewed by trusted packagers than letting everyone sn
eaking them in.

Regards,
H.