[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 19:19:06 UTC 2015

On 09/11/2015 06:40 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 18:27 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>
>>> I agree that the discussion here needs to be more broad-based; see
>>> the
>>> other thread fork. I was just providing support for Stephen's
>>> contention that this is not some airy-fairy theoretical problem,
>>> there
>>> are multiple examples of real things that people *wanted* to have
>>> packaged that are not packaged because the unbundling process was
>>> too
>>> onerous.
>>>
>> Arguably that is a testament of how heavy the bureaucracy in the
>> distribution has become not the "bundling" itself.
> Um. I don't see how you can possibly make that argument.

If you where looking at this from a broader perspective ( which you
yourself proposed doing ), you would see it is entirely possible to make
that argument because people have been giving up submitting components
for inclusion in Fedora due to the fact how long the review process has
taken , regardless if their submitted component had to be un-bundled or
not.

If you take a closer look at the sample you provided you should have
noticed the submitted date of that review request is 2012-07-01 and the
last comment in which he finally gave up and moved to do other things
wason 2014-01-26 roughly 18 months later so claiming that he only
abandoned his review request due to having to unbundle the submitted
component might not be the ( sole ) underlying cause for doing so ( If
you are thinking about arguing the case he had to depend on another
component then I'll point out the time 2009-11-27 when the review
request for that depended component was submitted ) .

JBG