Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 12 02:49:36 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-09-12 at 04:46 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 11.09.2015 um 23:54 schrieb Orion Poplawski:
> > I would argue that we need to be packaging much less than we do.
> >  Many
> > languages have developed packaging infrastructures around
> > themselves and
> > perhaps it's time to let those become the primary means of
> > distributing such
> > software
>
> no, thanks, one time the mess with CPAN installed packages mixed
> with
> the OS and clean that up was enough while it's way more maintainable
> over dist-upgrades to package the missing perl modules to get net-
> dri
> running for years now
>
> having parallel worlds of software management ends in a mess on
> systems
> not re-installed every now and then - i maintain 30 productin
> machines
> installed 2008 and upgraded with yum - that's possible because one
> central package management

perl and python are examples of languages whose packaging mechanisms
have been designed with system-wide installation / distribution
packaging broadly kept in mind. For other languages/ecosystems this is
not the case; they are expressly designed around bundling.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey