Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Sep 12 02:58:36 UTC 2015

Am 12.09.2015 um 04:49 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Sat, 2015-09-12 at 04:46 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 11.09.2015 um 23:54 schrieb Orion Poplawski:
>>> I would argue that we need to be packaging much less than we do.
>>>   Many
>>> languages have developed packaging infrastructures around
>>> themselves and
>>> perhaps it's time to let those become the primary means of
>>> distributing such
>>> software
>>
>> no, thanks, one time the mess with CPAN installed packages mixed
>> with
>> the OS and clean that up was enough while it's way more maintainable
>> over dist-upgrades to package the missing perl modules to get net-
>> dri
>> running for years now
>>
>> having parallel worlds of software management ends in a mess on
>> systems
>> not re-installed every now and then - i maintain 30 productin
>> machines
>> installed 2008 and upgraded with yum - that's possible because one
>> central package management
>
> perl and python are examples of languages whose packaging mechanisms
> have been designed with system-wide installation / distribution
> packaging broadly kept in mind. For other languages/ecosystems this is
> not the case; they are expressly designed around bundling

and even if it works somehow - have fun to replicate a setup on
different machines - with one central package manager just "rpm -q" is
your friend and you can easily build your own meta-packages doing
nothing else than define Requires and stuck them together

that would not be possible in a clean way having to deal with dozens of
different install tools, some of them downloading things directly from
uptream, frankly you can' even be sure you end in the same versions 2
hours later, with RPM packages and repos nothing easier than setup a
internal cache-repo from /var/cache/yum and have on all other machines
in the network *only* that enabled - i am doing that from the very first
moment of setup production machines, the production servers *never*
touched any Fedora or other external repo over 7 years