Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Sep 12 14:41:15 UTC 2015

Am 12.09.2015 um 16:36 schrieb Orion Poplawski:
> Okay, I grant you the loss of central management thing and that sucks.
> But I'm afraid it may become a fact of life.
>
> As for versions, at least with pip and gem you can request specific
> versions to be installed.  These tools are very much designed for
> repeatable installs with specific version requirements.  That's why so
> many upstreams insist on people using them - because they want you to
> have the same versions they test with.
>
> And heck, with the stream of Fedora updates, you can also get different
> versions using yum/dnf

heck i don't because any production machine only sees the internal repos

why should i waste time and ressources on my side as well as on the
mirrors having 30 machines downloading their stuff from the internet and
risk they hit different mirrors with different states?

[root at buildserver:~]$ cat /buildserver/repo-cache.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash
basearch=`uname -i`
releasever=`rpm -q --qf "%{version}\n" fedora-release`
for g in `ls -1b /var/cache/yum`
do
  if [ -d /var/cache/yum/$g/packages ]
  then
   echo "/var/cache/yum/$g/packages/ > /repo/cache/fc$releasever/"
   sudo mv --verbose /var/cache/yum/$g/packages/*.rpm
/repo/cache/fc$releasever/ 2> /dev/null
  fi
done
/buildserver/repo-create.sh

>> when i type "distribute-updates.sh" or "distribute-install.sh
>> meta-package" i can be 100% sure in which state the destination ends
>
> Yeah, it sucks when your workflow breaks, it really does and I feel your
> pain here.  However it seems that much of the focus has shifted from
> maintaining installs over the years to being able to spin up new systems
> to a given spec quickly.  Long ago I shifted away from doing upgrades to
> using kickstart + (cfengine -> puppet -> ansible) to do fresh installs
> of systems to given specifications.  I've found this much more
> maintainable, and even faster.

impossible in case of many complex setups