Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 14 11:08:29 UTC 2015

> and much more important:
>
> if Fedora changes to more and more recommend "pip", "gem" and "cpan" like
> installs instead RPM packages it is no longer a distribution over the long
> because that would mean finally you have a core OS and handle anything else
> like Microsoft or Apple - does anybody really want to go that road?

Stop oversimplifying the debate, just integrating programming
languages package managers into the distro one, doesn't mean there
won't be any integration.

We could:
1. integrate install by pip/gem/cpan into RPM database as previously said
2. integrate them with dnf
3. mirror upstream repositories and trim them for Fedora users
4. spend more time fixing integration issues upstream rather focusing
on packaging.
5. focus on continuous integration of packages too

I'm not saying that's the way we should go, but don't kill the
discussion before it even started. It's important to leverage our past
experience but we shouldn't let it tie us to the point we can't evolve
anymore.

What's important is not to ship code in little packages, but to ship a
consistent and rock-solid experience to our users.
And there's more than one way to do it.

H.