[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 14:13:05 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-14 at 16:54 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 12 September 2015 at 04:10, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > I agree that the discussion here needs to be more broad-based; see
> > the
> > other thread fork. I was just providing support for Stephen's
> > contention that this is not some airy-fairy theoretical problem,
> > there
> > are multiple examples of real things that people *wanted* to have
> > packaged that are not packaged because the unbundling process was
> > too
> > onerous.
>
> This is the idea behind COPR and Fedora Playground though - ensuring
> that packages that are *legally* acceptable for redistribution are
> easy to publish and consume for Fedora and EPEL users, while still
> being clearly distinct from the ones that have passed full review
> against the packaging guidelines.
>
> What we haven't managed to do yet is update the package review
> process
> to better account for the distinction, such as by adopting a "COPR
> first" model, where folks put a package up in COPR with bundled
> components, and then either keep it there indefinitely, or
> collaborate
> with others on the unbundling effort.

We also haven't established any kind of migration plan between the two
repositories. In the darktable example, one of the reasons we ended up
going back to the FPC and re-requesting an exception was that we don't
have any mechanisms for moving an application out of the Fedora
repositories and into COPR automatically. So upgrades would be broken.

This is something we do need to consider and address (though it's an
aside for this thread). I know some people are afraid that there will
be a mass exodus out of Fedora proper and into COPR if we make it
easy, but I'm not convinced that this is a bad thing. COPR is our
official answer for "this is useful but for some reason can't make it
past our packaging guidelines (yet)".