[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 14:18:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 20:46 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> > We certainly agree on that.

> > Eh, I'm not sure it's really been fully addressed, and even if it
> > has,
> > if enough people feel like the topic needs revisiting, it seems
> > wise
> > to revisit it.
>
> As far as I can tell these are the same people as last time which
> are
> not satisfied with the outcome of that decision.
>
> And you know as well as I do that people pursuing this will start
> discussing where to draw the line, with the end being why stop
> there?
> which in turn will lead to having to answer same question again (
> what
> the third time, this time around? ).
>
> Now if nothing new is being added to the previous discussions  (
> which I
> have yet to see the case for ) and the council would for some reason
> approve, and in doing so looking extremely suspicions if that would
> be
> the case, people would most likely want community wide vote based on
> the
> grounds that the changes are being made to the foundation of the
> project, those same foundations which led them to participate in the
> first place.
>
> Now let's wait and see in which direction the discussion will take.

Just to be clear: unbundling is not foundational (as I noted in my
initial post). It does not *directly* apply to any of our
Foundations[1]. Now, it can be argued that it *does* support our
mission[2] from certain perspectives and so we have to keep that in
mind.

Also, I'd like to be clear on this: whatever the outcome of this
discussion, I want Fedora packagers to continue to work with their
packages and upstreams to unbundle as much as possible. I think that
this *does* lead to significant improvements in security, resources
and maintenance. However, I also feel that making it a barrier to
entry is actively harming our ability to bring in new software and new
package maintainers. At which point I would argue that mandatory
unbundling is unhealthy for the Fedora *Project* while it is clearly
healthy for the Fedora *Operating System*.

I hope this makes my stance on the situation a little more clear.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Our_Mission