[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 17:10:33 UTC 2015

On 14 September 2015 at 10:43, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2015-09-14 at 10:13 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>
>>> We also haven't established any kind of migration plan between the
>>> two
>>> repositories. In the darktable example, one of the reasons we ended
>>> up
>>> going back to the FPC and re-requesting an exception was that we
>>> don't
>>> have any mechanisms for moving an application out of the Fedora
>>> repositories and into COPR automatically. So upgrades would be
>>> broken.
>>
>> The big thing for me was that we can't use stuff from outside the
>> Fedora repos to build Fedora products - so we couldn't include
>> darktable in the design spin if it was in COPR.
>
> So you aren't incorrect, but I think that actually probably won't
> really hold over the long run.  Workstation can already include a set
> of curated COPR repo files that are disabled by default.  That allows
> Software to present the contents of the COPR in searches and then
> allow a user to install from there following a proper warning.  I do
> not see why the Design Spin could not follow the same steps.

The issue is that most of the Spins want to be able to work as Live
only images. Mizmo and others take the Design spin to various classes
as a cdrom or a USB key and then reboot the Windows box to using the
cdrom. I don't know if darktable is extremely important in these
environments, but if it is.. then this would make the spin less
useful. [In the case of people teaching these classes in South America
or Southern Asia.. the entire ability to have access to Coprs is
probably not happening.]

None of this is deal killers, I expect that if the tools are really
useful solutions outside of them being built by Fedora will occur.

> Granted, that isn't "installed by default" so it isn't exactly a 1:1
> comparison, but darktable could have been fairly easily available.
> The thing that complicates it somewhat is that darktable was already
> in Fedora proper.  However, for new software that _starts_ in a COPR,
> I think this can be a reasonable route.
>
> josh
> --

Stephen J Smoogen.