Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 14 18:50:08 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-14 at 20:38 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> > It's not a case of whether anyone here wants to go down that road
> > or
> > not, because we are already there.
> >
> > There is a reason that the Atomic / CoreOS idea combined with
> > Docker
> > is gaining traction, and it is because it deals with the reality of
> > dealing with software whose dependencies don't work in the
> > traditional
> > distribution world
>
> so i don't live in the real world?

Last time I checked, Harald Reindl was not the only Fedora user in the
world.

Your argument essentially boils down to "I don't do this, therefore
nobody else in the world does, or at least nobody else in the world
needs to". That is not a particularly convincing argument.

> that's it - AND NO - there is no business try to pack every php
> thing as
> RPM because - as example wordpress - who the hell gains anything
> with a
> package when you have 10, 100, 200 users with their webspace and
> just a
> single location - that works for things like phpMyAdmin with a
> simple
> authentication against the database server but not for virtual
> webspaces
> - but nobody right in his mind expects that to work with RPM and/or
> distribution packages

Um. But weren't you just saying:

"if Fedora changes to more and more recommend "pip", "gem" and "cpan"
like installs instead RPM packages it is no longer a distribution over
the long because that would mean finally you have a core OS and handle
anything else like Microsoft or Apple - does anybody really want to go
that road?"

So...I'm finding it difficult to understand what it is you're actually
*saying* here.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey