Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 14 19:04:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-14 at 20:57 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Um. But weren't you just saying:
> >
> > "if Fedora changes to more and more recommend "pip", "gem" and
> > "cpan"
> > like installs instead RPM packages it is no longer a distribution
> > over
> > the long because that would mean finally you have a core OS and
> > handle
> > anything else like Microsoft or Apple - does anybody really want
> > to go
> > that road?"
>
> there is a difference between an application and a webspace
>
> > So...I'm finding it difficult to understand what it is you're
> > actually
> > *saying* here
>
> if you don't understand the difference between applications fro a
> single
> machiens and webspaces running similar applications fro 100, 200,
> 300,
> 1000 instances then it may be difficult
>
> one thing is the operating system
> the other things are userdata and a webspace is clearly userdata

But just two posts ago you were drawing a distinction between an 'OS'
and a 'distribution' and saying that Fedora ought to be a distribution
not an OS.

So basically you're saying...Fedora should be a distribution but it
shouldn't include 'userdata', and you're somehow defining Wordpress as
'userdata', on the basis that it's often deployed for multiple users.

I'm not convinced.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey