Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Mon Sep 14 19:52:13 UTC 2015

On 09/11/2015 07:51 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 10.9.2015 v 15:53 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
>>  * Increases the available pool of software that can be packaged
>> substantially (many modern languages such as Ruby and Go are
>> realistically only functional with allowable bundling)
>
> Not sure why you put Ruby into this group. There is no evidence that
> bundling is more prominent in Ruby then in other languages. If your
> judgment is based on existence of rubygem-bundler, then you completely
> misunderstand purpose of the project.

To bring up ruby - https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/560

rubygem-bundler bundles rubygem-thor, rubygem-net-http-persistent, and
rubygem-molinilio.

>From discussion with upstream here: https://github.com/bundler/bundler/issues/3647

I get:

    Bundler is meant to be installed as a gem.
    The Bundler team does not provide support for installing or using Bundler
as an OS package.
    The way Ruby handles dependencies unfortunately forces us to modify and
vendor Thor and Molinillo.
    The public versions of Thor and Molinillo are not usable by Bundler.
Trying to use them instead of the vendored versions will create certain
situations where applications are completely broken and unable to function.
Please don't do that.

We're not going to change how we vendor things to make it easier to remove
vendored code, because removing the vendored code will break both Bundler and
applications that use Bundler.

At this point I say fine, upstream actively doesn't want it shipped as an OS
package, so let's just drop it.  Of course:

# dnf repoquery --whatrequires rubygem-bundler --source --alldeps
rOCCI-server-1.1.6-6.20150217git73409ea.fc24.src.rpm
rubygem-appraisal-0.5.2-3.fc23.src.rpm
rubygem-bundler-1.7.8-3.fc23.src.rpm
rubygem-bundler_ext-0.4.0-2.fc23.src.rpm
rubygem-gemnasium-parser-0.1.9-4.fc23.src.rpm
rubygem-rails-4.2.4-1.fc24.src.rpm
vagrant-1.7.4-1.fc24.src.rpm

This means no rails or vagrant in Fedora.  But this is what has been driving
some of my thinking lately.

Now, perhaps upstream's real position is that they don't support it as an OS
package *if the OS package is modified*.  This then brings us back to the
question of is it okay to just ship the package as is in Fedora.  And maybe it
is time to just stop caring so much about this issue.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com