[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:11:16 UTC 2015

> Also, I'd like to be clear on this: whatever the outcome of this
> discussion, I want Fedora packagers to continue to work with their
> packages and upstreams to unbundle as much as possible. I think that
> this*does*  lead to significant improvements in security, resources
> and maintenance. However, I also feel that making it a barrier to
> entry is actively harming our ability to bring in new software and new
> package maintainers. At which point I would argue that mandatory
> unbundling is unhealthy for the Fedora*Project*  while it is clearly
> healthy for the Fedora*Operating System*.

I would argue that we should not be packaging and shipping bundled
components ourselves et all ( whatever they might be called, which
effectively makes unbundling mandatory ) due to the increased load on
the project as whole maintaining such bundles.

 From patching, to bugs to license issue no matter how you look at it,
with or without exceptions bundles will be wasting resources in the
project, resources we dont have.

And FYI during what FC5 or FC6 we made it easier for individuals to add
components to the distribution and take hard good look at what that has
got us. Fedora has grown so fat it's collapsing under it's own weight.

Based on the resources we have, people seriously need to start asking
themselves do we want Fedora to be shipping every know component in the
universe chasing end users sitting at the end of the rainbow?
Is making it easier to add components to the distribution actually worth
it and a good thing?

Anyway exceptions or not an clear cut policy surrounding bundles is
necessary which outlines and explains to the maintainer of the bundle
that he just signed himself up and is responsible to maintain the entire
components that make up that bundleotherwise you have effectively added
the load on already existing maintainers, an load they themselves did
not sign themselves up to do. ( it's one thing maintaining a component
in the distribution and it's another having to in addition to that
maintain it in all bundled components as well )

JBG