Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Sep 15 21:19:49 UTC 2015

> On Tue, 2015-09-15 at 10:59 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> Other than the large python2/3 split, you don't.  There's no way in
>> the python
>> import statement to specify a version of the module you want, so
>> there's no
>> way to provide both python2-foo-1.1 and python2-foo-1.2 even if we
>> wanted to.
>>

> Actually, that's incorrect. If your package is using setuptools, you
> can indeed specify which version to import if some are available in
> parallel.
>
> Take a look at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python_Eggs#Mul
> tiple_Versions for tips on how to use egg metadata to do this.
>
> (For a while, we were doing this with Django so we could keep the LTS
> version around as well as the latest).

Umm, okay.  But you have to admit that this is a crazy hack to allow specific
modified consumers to have access to a particular module.  Quite a bit
different say than ruby's;

gem 'rake', '>=0.7.0', '<0.9.0'

and installs going into versioned directories:

/usr/share/gems/gems/<name>-<version>

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com