rpmbuild - empty RPMS directory

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:12:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:31:57 +0200, arnaud gaboury wrote:

> >> I deleted nothing. These last few lines are the end of screen output
> >> when running rpmbuild. I thereafter come back to command shell.
> >
> > Which are the "last few lines"?
>
> Below is the last part of rpmbuild screen output:

> Processing files: R-debuginfo-3.2.1-mkl.fc22.x86_64

That doesn't match your earlier quote. In the earlier quote you've
shown the following last lines:

  | Processing files: R-debuginfo-3.2.1-mkl.fc22.x86_64
  | Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files

Which made me ask whether the last line is truncated? It's missing
the buildroot path.

Now you've shown output where the check-files call is missing.
That makes it much harder to guess what you are doing.

It smells a lot like either you've broken your rpmbuild environment,
or the spec file messes with macros, variables and env vars too much
to break something.

> > You refer to "These last lines are part of the %file section".
> > Which last lines are that? I don't see any lines that refer to your
> > %files section.
>
> When I refer to %file section is beacuse I have been watching all
> outputs, no errors during %configure, %build and %install. I "guess"
> (maybe I am wrong) that the build would have stoped before the %file
> section in case of errors.

That's now how I've understood that comment. Rpmbuild output referring
to %files sections typically is the check for unpackaged/packaged files,
duplicate files, and related errors/warnings. Anything before that is
not about the %files sections but about the %prep, %build, %install
stages.

> > Also, normally the check-files script is called with the buildroot
> > as the first argument. In your output that's missing. Is the output
> > truncated or not?
>
> YES it is.

"YES" to what? Truncated or not? It would have been better to answer
either:

  Yes, it is truncated.
or
  No, it is not truncated.