Do we need the Fedora 'virt' mailing list?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 12:20:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:45:28PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Crickets ... https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/virt/
>
> The virt list has long been in an odd place.  Fedora has best in class
> virt support, because so many virt developers use it.  It also follows
> upstream very closely, with upstream packages like libvirt and qemu
> going straight into Rawhide without any significant patching.
>
> So there isn't really much need for a Fedora+virt-specific list, since
> almost any question should go upstream to one of the following lists:

>  - https://libvirt.org/contact.html#email
>  - https://libosinfo.org/communicate/
>
> Or as a last resort if it really is a rare virt integration issue that
> only affects to Fedora, then:

> Can we kill the virt list?

At this point in time, I'd say yes.

FWIW, a little history.... many moons ago during development of the
Fedora Core 5 release, we created a fedora-xen at redhat.com mailing
list. Virtualization was all new and shiny and a total pain to actually
get running and develop against. So the fedora-xen mailing list was
useful to avoid deluging other mailing lists with Xen related topics.
Later when KVM came along, we created a fedora-virt mailing list, so
we didn't tie discussions just to Xen. These later moved from redhat.com
to fedoraproject.org mailman. The xen at lists.fedoraproject.org mailing
list actually still exists too, and has even less traffic than virt one!

Fast-forward 10 years.... virtualization is mainstream, almost seemlessly
integrated in Fedora, pretty much everyone knows about it and can get
it working with little effort. Thus the original rationale for having the
Fedora virt mailing list has pretty much gone away IMHO. There's no reason
not to just use the main Fedora developer/user mailing lists, and/or the
appropriate project upstream lists at this point.

Regards,
Daniel