Do we need the Fedora 'virt' mailing list?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 12:33:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 01:20:49PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:45:28PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> > Crickets ... https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/virt/
> >
> > The virt list has long been in an odd place.  Fedora has best in class
> > virt support, because so many virt developers use it.  It also follows
> > upstream very closely, with upstream packages like libvirt and qemu
> > going straight into Rawhide without any significant patching.
> >
> > So there isn't really much need for a Fedora+virt-specific list, since
> > almost any question should go upstream to one of the following lists:

> >  - https://libvirt.org/contact.html#email
> >  - https://libosinfo.org/communicate/
> >
> > Or as a last resort if it really is a rare virt integration issue that
> > only affects to Fedora, then:

> > Can we kill the virt list?
>
> At this point in time, I'd say yes.

BTW, in case there was any doubt ...by 'kill the virt list', I would
expect that we set all existing subscribers to moderated, and set any
postings to get the get an auto-reply suggesting they use one of the
alternative lists Rich suggests above. We'd also turn off ability to
subscribe. The list would still actually exist, such that we preserve
the archives forever. IOW, we just disable use of the list but don't
delete it.

Regards,
Daniel