Resources for upstream testing?

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Sep 17 11:14:26 UTC 2015

Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> writes:

> I've never used docker/vagrant, so I was wondering if there was any
> information on how to get the docker image setup so it can be used. Also,
> is there anything special that needs to be done once it's running? Or do
> the typical commands like "dnf install" and such "just work"?

I don't know about docker.  Fort vagrant it's basically (at least in
Debian for the install stage):

  $ <OS package manager> install virtualbox vagrant
    [output ...]
  $ mkdir ~/vagrant-rawhide; cd ~/vagrant-rawhide
  $ vagrant init kaorimatz/fedora-rawhide-x86_64
    [output ...]
  $ vagrant up
    [output ...]
  $ vagrant ssh
  Last login: Sun Dec 21 03:27:18 2014 from gateway
  [vagrant at localhost ~]$ # sudo dnf update, etc., etc.
  [vagrant at localhost ~]$ logout
  $ vagrant halt

Subsequently,

  $ cd ~/vagrant-rawhide
  $ vagrant up # bring machine up
  $ vagrant ssh
    [do stuff in it and logout]
  $ vagrant halt  # take it down when you've finished with it

~/vagrant-rawhide is an arbitrary directory for the environment, which
is mounted as /vagrant in the VM.  The "box" you get initially is
obviously an old rawhide, so it needs appropriate dnf updates, which
worked in the cases I tried.  Doubtless an update would be useful.

You need enough space for the VM environment, of course, and a rather
recent vagrant if you use virtualbox 5.  I don't think they're in EPEL
-- my RHEL6 one is from the vagrant site, with virtualbox from
virtualbox.org.

See <https://www.vagrantup.com/> (hype-me-not).