Fedora 23 cloud image (and, for that matter, minimal anything) bloat

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 21 20:37:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 03:39:46PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> It's worth pointing out that your griping about grub2 "growth" seems
> misleading.  The sizes of the grub2 packages did not change between
> F22 and F23.  What seems to have happened is that the cloud images
> added the grub2 packages, which weren't there in F22.

Sorry, yeah -- that griping is not out of context in the Cloud WG where
I also posted this, but is here. Grub2 has the huge virtue of *It
Actually Works*, a claim which currently none of the competition can
make.

But *that* said, the current packaging means that grub2 adds 70MB on
disk — about 12% of the entire cloud image. I'm not saying grub2 is
evil, just that this is a big portion of the gain and is worth
attacking in order to reverse it. I talked briefly to Peter Jones and
he says there's quite a bit which can be done there, if going back to
extlinux doesn't seem like a viable option.

But grub2 isn't the only growth — only about a third of it.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>