Fedora 23 cloud image (and, for that matter, minimal anything) bloat

Matej Stuchlik mstuchli at redhat.com
Tue Sep 22 09:36:10 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

The only difference between unoptimized and "optimized" bytecode should be that
the latter is missing all docstrings, has disable asserts and sets __debug__ to False,
I can't imagine this being significant, performance wise.

That said I do not plan on doing this before I measure the performance difference and
discuss it on python-sig and python-linux.

Also note that it's possibly not just 9MB. For instance python3-boto, also on this list, would
save 4.7MB, python3-pip 2.9MB. In general most python packages could go down in size by ~20-30%.

Matt