Announcing the release of Fedora 23 Beta!

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Tue Sep 22 19:18:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-22 at 13:33 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 06:21:00PM +0100, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> > I just used dnf distro-sync as per:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_22
> > _-.3E_Fedora_23
> >
> > This went fine, and I'm now typing this on F23 beta.
> > What are the main advantages of system-upgrade?
> > Should the above wiki mention the system-uprade instructions?
>
> There's actually a "fedup" script as part of the package. I think we
> should update the dnf-plugin-system-upgrade to Provide: fedup, and
> keep
> the instructions the same. Rationale:
>
> * FedUp has gotten a lot of positive press *just recently*, including
> this
>   interview with Jim Whitehurst
>   http://www.mylinuxrig.com/post/129154618674/the-linux-setup-jim-whi
> tehurst-presidentceo
>
> * Although the mechanisms are different, the basic concepts,
>   especially from a user point of view, are very similar
>
> * Documentation won't need (as much) updating
>
> * fedup.sh is already done
>
> * FedUp is an awesome name
>
> * People get all stabby over changes. Let's save getting stabbed for
>   when we really need it.

So I noticed a little while ago fedup on my system was replaced by dnf-
plugin-system-upgrade. Running fedup gets you the dnf 'this command is
no longer the one to use use dnf system-upgrade...' I used it and am
running F23 Beta now. It may be too late. One thing though is I
searched for fedup first, found the wiki and it has nothing about using
dnf on it anymore.

Otherwise it seemed to run fine.

It didn't however relabel the system during the upgrade which caused a
few selinux messages. Should it?

--
Nathanael