Fedora 23 cloud image (and, for that matter, minimal anything) bloat

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 23 19:28:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 07:07:09PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> Not really. localed is simply linked to libxkbcommon.so, so it will
> not run without. Anyway, libxkbcommon.rpm is 260kb, so some potential
> (complicated) scheme to avoid a dependency simply does not seem worth
> the trouble.

No; bring brings in xkeyboard-config, which is over 5mb, putting it in
the top 20 biggest packages. 5mb-on-disk isn't _huge_ but overall we
grew 220mb on disk over two releases, and a whole bunch of "eh, who
cares?" adds up. If it *got* us anything in terms of functionality,
okay, I can sell that to people, but for the base, this is just bloat.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>