virtual provides/metapackage for various OpenCL implementations

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 12:44:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
> I've just enabled OpenCL support in the gromacs package[1] and would
> like to express a weak dependency on an OpenCL implementation, but I
> have no way of doing so at the moment.
>
> We have three packages which provide OpenCL implementations:
> beignet - Intel GPUs
> mesa-libOpenCL - AMD GPUs (only?)
> pocl - CPU-based
>
> Would it make sense to add a virtual provide to each of the packages
> to mean the all provide a "vendor" OpenCL implementation? For example,
> Provides: opencl-driver
>
> Then, any package that makes use of OpenCL could add
> Requires/Recommends/Suggests: opencl-driver
>
> Another approach could be to create a meta package (named
> opencl-drivers, for example - similar to xorg-x11-drivers) which would
> depend on all vendor-specific implementations.
>
> I guess the second approach is more fool-proof. Comments?

Hey,

yes - when we initially create the packages we actually already
discussed how to achieve this.

I'd favor the second (meta-package) approach, nothing should go wrong
if all three are installed.

I'd go even further and create an opencl package (or group?) to
install all kind of opencl packages, i.e. clinfo is a good thing to
start with.

- fabian